Looking for the perfect gadget? Why not get something that will make your life easier and your yard look great too? It’s a win-win.
- WaterSense-Labeled Weather-Based Sprinkler Timer: Save yourself the trouble of setting the sprinkler timer by getting a WaterSense-labeled weather-based sprinkler controller. They use local weather and landscape conditions to precisely tailor watering schedules to a yard’s needs, instead of just running according to the clock.
- High-Efficiency Rotator Sprinklers: Why not check out and update your sprinklers with a bunch of high-efficiency rotator sprinklers? They deliver water in multiple streams at a slower rate that can be more easily absorbed by the soil and are estimated to reduce water use by 30 percent or more over traditional sprinklers. If you participate in the Water Efficiency Survey offered through Carmichael Water District, high efficiency sprinklers are free to qualifying participants while supplies last.
- Moisture Meter: Moisture meters feature an easy-to-read dial that indicates if the soil is dry, moist or wet. Now you won’t have to waste time wondering if you need to water your yard.
- Weeding Tools: There are a variety of handy tools available to help get rid of water-stealing, unsightly weeds. You could consider getting a short-handed weeding tool like a Hori-Hori, which can be used for weeding, planting, and even checking soil moisture. Or consider a Dutch or stirrup hoe, which are great for uprooting weeds and will be easier on your back.
- Good Old Mulch: It may not seem like a gadget, but it will keep the roots of plants and trees at comfortable temperatures, help reduce water lost to evaporation and cut down on weeds.