Billing Dispute Appeal Process

As an irrigation District, CWD operates under the Water Code, which does not allow us to waive a penalty for any reason other than a posting error.

Any Carmichael Water District (CWD/District) customer seeking to dispute the billing of charges on their water bill should contact the Billing Department for clarification or correction of disputed charges. 

If the dispute is not resolved by the Billing Support/Specialist, account holders have the right to initiate the appeals process.

Filing the Appeal

  • An account holder may appeal in writing by completing and submitting the Billing Dispute Appeal Form (Appeal Form) received within thirty (30) days of the disputed bill's due date. Any comments attached to the Appeal Form should clearly demonstrate the issue or issues in dispute, along with any proof, such as copies of bills and/or receipts necessary to help the District understand the basis for and support of the account holder's claim.
  • If the Appeal Form is not received by the required due date, the right to appeal is waived, unless a demonstrated extenuating circumstance, as determined by the District, prevented a timely appeal from being filed.
  • The inability to pay for the water services is not a basis for an appeal, nor shall the Appeal be used as a tool to avoid full payment of valid charges.
  • Please be advised that filing a dispute will only place a temporary hold on the charges in dispute. All other charges, including future bills that are invoiced after the filing date of the dispute, will be due and subject to late fees and collection activity.
  • The Appeal Form will be reviewed by the District, and the account holder shall be notified in writing of the decision rendered within ten business days of rendering a decision.
  • If the District determines there has been an error and is at fault, the District will make the necessary corrections and the account will be adjusted accordingly up to a maximum period of one year. At no time shall the adjustment period, regardless of culpability, be greater than one year.
  • All decisions made by the District are final.